Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Thirsty planet



For my collaborative brief, I have chosen to work on the Thirsty planet brief, working alongside two graphic designers Alice Morris and Dom Cartledge. I decided it would be best for me to work alongside two graphic designers because I know I am able to do the illustrations or an animation if we choose to create one, and I would only need help with any typography and layout because they are no my strong points. 


These are my concepts for the posters, I wanted to create two posters that would work well as set. I decided to work from the idea of including the elephant pump and the other poster will have an illustration of an elephant on it. After sketching out some poster ideas I planned out what colours the illustrations would be as I wanted them both to look similar. 




These were my first two poster designs that I had created for Thirsty planet, we decided that not using illustrations of children or people that live in Africa was probably best for a campaign because people don't usually act upon the adverts that are shown of the people who live in Africa travelling to get water or who are hungry. We had then decided that having an elephant on the poster who probably work better because the pumps that are then provided to people are called elephant pumps, so in the poster designs we would have one with the elephant and another one of the elephant pump. 

Me and my group all decided that the second poster with the elephant would work out better because where the water is coming out of the trunk on the first poster it doesn't line up properly and the layout of the poster just works better than the first design. 




I then carried on playing around with the layout and decided that there was too much blank space within the poster so I had enlarged the elephant illustration.  I had also went back to the brief package because the colours were slightly off and they needed to be RGB colours. We did plan on making these posters using screen print but because we didn't have long for this brief, trying to plan to screen print and set up the templates and trying to organise for us to go in and screen print we thought we would play it safe and create digital posters. 


We then had a crit with the graphic design tutor simon, and the feed back we received was to try and aim our campaign at people who already drink water instead of aiming our campaign at people who don't usually drink water. We had then all met up and decided that we would work towards aiming it at athletes, people who attend business meetings and businesses themselves. We then planned to create water bottles and glasses and water fountains, these can be used by anyone but mainly to our new target audience. 
These are the water bottle designs that I had created, we decided to go with the top designs for each bottle with the logo going down the side of the bottle as the logo going across the bottom of the bottle looks too cramped and its not as effective as the first ones. These bottles were designed for people who are on and the go and usually carry a bottle of water around with them and athletes. I tried to keep to the thirsty planet colours with the blue, red and white for the bottles. 
These are the final water bottle designs for this brief, I am really happy with how they look. I tried to keep to really simple water bottle shapes designs, that Myself and others use, instead of creating a different water bottle shape. For the water bottles a loyalty concept was developed whereby water bottles can be bought and used specifically for the thirsty planet water dispenser. This in turn promoting the water, and getting the brand out there.


After the crit we were unsure whether or not to keep the posters in our campaign but we all agreed that the elephant poster was a really strong design and wanted to keep it, but because we was so unsure whether to keep the posters or not, I was a bit short of time to create the second poster of the water pump. 


Although this poster is in the same style as my other Thirsty planet poster, I personally think that this poster is weaker than my other design, I just feel like there is too much blank space and its just not as effective as the other one. My original idea was to have just a normal tap as the illustration but then after researching what and elephant pump looks like I thought that it wouldn't work as well, as thats not what the elephant pump looks like. 



These are the two posters together. my initial idea was to have the water coming down on one poster and on the other have the water going up with the heart in the center of each water droplets. I am happy with both designs, I just think that there could be some improvements to the water pump poster, and I think this is because on the elephant poster it has more white lines within the illustration where as the water pump poster does not.  the poster campaign was developed in order to gain attention from a younger consumer. These posters would be placed around universities and other locations that specifically target a young audience. Key iconography has been used in order to target a fun, consciously aware audience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment